Here is his story of how he came to us.
The afternoon of October 25th I started having regular contractions ranging about every 15-20 mins but very minor intensity. By 3pm they were coming in at every 10 mins on a consistent basis so we started timing them and how long between each contraction. 6pm came around and they were consistently every 6 mins but still able to breath through them no problem. 9pm came and I made a phone call to the on call doctor at the hospital for labour and delivery but was told that I wasn't there yet to come in. I was told to have a hot shower or bath and try to get some sleep as they may taper off. I went up stairs and had a long hot shower which only intensified the contractions. I headed off to bed which only lasted for about 10 mins and I couldn't lay down anymore. I got up and tried to spend sometime on my computer but again that didn't last very long. I went downstairs to see my mom and we called the on call doctor and at that point the contractions were every 3 mins and was told to make my way into the hospital. We packed up and got into the car at about 12am and made the 30min drive into town.
Once I was admitted they checked me and I was already 4cm dilated and fully effaced. I got a morphine/gravol shot to help with the pain management. After 4 hours they asked what I wanted to do for pain and decided it was time to get a epidural. So the nurse checked me and I was 9cm dilated the nurse couldn't get over how quickly I was progressing. She phone my doctor and ordered the epidural, was told it would only be 10-15mins and it would be there. 2 hours later and still no epidural, so I took the narcotic pain shot (which really didn't do anything) after about 30 mins the doctor came and checked me, I was 10cm, fully effaced and ready to push. They broke my water and I was on my way.
30 mins of pushing and he was out. My doctor and nurse couldn't get over how quickly I went through the labour process and got him out of me. Apparently I am made to give birth. I did end up with a small 1st degree tare and a small superficial one. So I ended up with 3 stitches but it could have been worse. After Ethan was given the all clear he was put on my chest for his first mommy time and feeding. After I was all clear to leave the labour and delivery ward we were moved over to the mommy and babe unit for our stay at the hospital. I was told that I would be in for 2 days before they would let me go home which meant Friday would be home day.
Our first few hours on mommy and babe ward was suppose to be spent sleeping as Nicholas, my mom and my mom in law went home to get some much needed sleep as well. Ethan slept but for the life of me I could not fall asleep. For one there was constant noise on the ward which was hard to not hear and second I had a beautiful brand new baby boy that I couldn't stop staring at. Needless to say that by the time everyone came back to visit me I hadn't slept a wink. Family visited throughout the day and when they all went home that night Ethan decided he was done his sleeping from birth and was up all night long. I was in a semi private room but was told they try to keep one mom and baby per room so that they can sleep and bond. That was not my case. I got a room mate the next morning at 230am, who was having tons of complications from her delivery. Every time she would buzz the nurse they would come running into the room turn ALL of the room lights on and bump Ethan in his crib, which seemed to be right after I just got him to sleep. Needless to say our first night was VERY rough and sure enough when family came to visit the next day around lunch Ethan was out cold.
The doctor came to see us later that afternoon and checked us over. Once she saw that we were doing good she gave me the option that if I wanted to go home I could. Once I heard this news I was all over it. I would much rather be at home in my own comfortable environment rather than in a hospital bed. By 5pm that night we were in the car headed home.
Here are some pictures from my labour and delivery that I would like to share with everyone.
When we first got to the hospital, having 2-3 contractions back to back at this point but still very manageable
They tried giving me laughing gas to help with the pain, yeah that stuff doesn't work, only made me super light headed and didn't do anything for the pain.
Post morphine shot got a little sleep in between the contractions, it took the edge off them
At this point they were pretty intense as my epidural never showed up.
Yeah I couldn't take the pain any more and was getting the urge to push
Pushing with not drug help, look at me go
Baby Ethan getting his lungs checked as their was meconium
After the all clear we got our first mommy baby time together
Our first family photo together
7Ibs 8.6oz's
Getting some Daddy cuddle time on the mommy and babe ward post bath :)
Well that's Ethan's journey into the world, stay tuned for more updates as we make our way through this world as a family.
XO
No comments:
Post a Comment